Pride Awareness Month begins its 15th years of LGBTQ+ events

<p>Retired Marine Sgt. Eric Alva speaks at Pride Awareness Month’s opening ceremonies on Monday. Alva, 43, was the first U.S. Marine injured in the Iraq War when he stepped on a landmine after being in Iraq for 3 hours, and helped to repeal Don’t Ask Don’t Tell. “The norm is about being happy and letting people live their lives,” he said.</p>
<p><em>Correction: The original cutline identified Sgt. Alva as a soldier, not a marine.</em></p>

Retired Marine Sgt. Eric Alva speaks at Pride Awareness Month’s opening ceremonies on Monday. Alva, 43, was the first U.S. Marine injured in the Iraq War when he stepped on a landmine after being in Iraq for 3 hours, and helped to repeal Don’t Ask Don’t Tell. “The norm is about being happy and letting people live their lives,” he said.

Correction: The original cutline identified Sgt. Alva as a soldier, not a marine.

This month marks 15 years since UF began rallying for LGBTQ+ inclusion.

On Monday, the team behind Pride Awareness Month began its annual quest to highlight the importance of the LGBTQ+ community.

UF PAM, the largest student-run series of LGBTQ+ events in the U.S. held its opening ceremony at 7 p.m. Monday in the Arredondo Café, which featured Iraq War veteran and LGBTQ+ activist Sgt. Eric Alva.

The more than 20 scheduled events will continue through April 20.

Rachel Eisen, director of staple PAM event Paint Your Orgasm, said this year’s theme is Trailblazers, and it is all about paving one’s own path.

“You’re the pioneer of your own life,” she said.

Eisen, a 21-year-old advertising and Spanish junior, said she thinks people are nervous about going to PAM events because they’re afraid of being judged.

Jeremiah Corley, another PAM event director, said the events are for everyone to come together to celebrate and promote equality.

“Pride Awareness Month is dedicated to being as inclusive as possible with everybody, any community and across the entire spectrum,” said Corley, a 20-year-old journalism junior.

Corley’s event, Take Back The Night, is one of the new events added to this year’s lineup and addresses sexual violence. He said the event, co-sponsored by Sexual Trauma/Interpersonal Violence Education UF, is a march and rally that will feature poster making, a candlelight vigil and guest speakers.

“Members of the survivor community can come together and celebrate their individuality and power as a person,” Corley said.

Other events include Pride Struts its Stuff on Friday, Paint Your Orgasm on March 25, Queer Prom on April 6 and the Drag Show on April 17.

Eisen said the planning process behind PAM was intense and started as soon as last year’s ended. It’s worth it, she said, and helps people realize they’re not alone.

Corley said PAM has a meaningful place in his heart. It helped him find his self-identity when he came out as gay in his freshman year.

Corley said he thinks that PAM is necessary because it’s just like any political movement. He said with cases of oppression that blow up, they die down due to lack of action.

He said members of the LGBTQ+ community can’t let that happen.

“It’s provided me with so many amazing, positive experiences and has given me so much hope for the future,” he said.

Pride Awareness Month’s events can be found on a rainbow-painted calendar on its Facebook page. This week’s events include:

• Circumstance: A film discussing homosexuality and religion will be played in the Reitz Auditorium - Today, 7 p.m.

• Trailblazing Tunes: Learn and listen to music by queer artists on the Plaza of the Americas - Thursday, 11 a.m.

• Pride Struts its Stuff: The sixth annual talent show will be in the Reitz Union - Friday, 8 p.m.