Campaigning for Santa Fe College Student Government elections began last week, bringing with it the hope of a more successful future.

Candidates will be running for leadership team positions — Student Body president and vice president, treasurer and chief justice — for the election running from March 23 to March 25. 

Student Senate President Jeremy Pierce said he urges students to evaluate candidates based on their ability to lead.

“Next year will be transformational for Student Government and all the leaders involved,” he wrote in an email. “The importance of finding capable and competent leaders has never been more important than it is now.”

Conor Flynn and Hannah Gwynn are running in the United Party, currently unopposed, for Student Body president and vice president, respectively. Their goal is to be more connected with students.

Flynn said he thinks that connection is something SG lacks.

A 19-year-old freshman and Student Government director of fundraising, Flynn said he believes the “arguing and drama” within SG over the past two semesters prevented it from addressing issues students face.

While he and Gwynn said it is impossible to rid SG of all drama, the candidates hope to work with others to minimize it.

“It’s going to be what the students need, what the 17,000 Santa Fe students want,” Flynn said.

Timothy Bergman and Justin Deese are running against each other for treasurer.

No candidates are running for chief justice, who oversees judicial review, similar to the U.S. government. 

Sen. Wallace Mazon said a vacant chief justice seat could cause issues if no one is available to oversee a judicial review.

In the event of a vacant seat, Student Body President Austin Browning said SG would likely form a chief justice selection committee.

Earlier this semester, Internal Affairs Director Benjamin Myers told the Alligator he was running for Student Body president. 

He is not currently running because he was unable to find a running mate.

Browning said he thinks the lack of competition may prevent Flynn and Gwynn from having the initiative to work beyond the minimum requirements.

“Pressure makes diamonds,” said Browning.

Nonetheless, Browning, who has worked closely with the candidates, said he believes the duo will be a great choice.

Sen. Lucas Jewell said their lack of involvement in Senate in recent months may be an issue. 

He said anyone running for Student Body president and vice president should be connected to and understand Student Senate.

Last semester, Flynn served as an at-large senator but stepped down this semester to focus on his duties as the fundraising director. 

Gwynn is the Student Body parking, transportation and safety director, a position she’s held since September.

Students can speak with the candidates at 10 a.m. Tuesday in the S breezeway during a meet and greet.

[A version of this story ran on page 1 - 4 on 3/9/2015 under the headline “SFC campaigning begins for upcoming SG election”]