Spring Local Arts Festival and Fundraiser at First Magnitude

Local artists can have a place to showcase their work to the community Sunday.

Gainesville Art Scene is hosting the Spring Local Arts Festival and Fundraiser from 3 to 8 p.m. The fundraiser will be held at First Magnitude Brewing Company, 1220 SE Veitch St. Admission is free for everyone. 

“A portion of the proceeds from FM Brewery core yearly beers will be donated, so through having a beer or buying one for someone, you will be supporting local artists,” Txong Moua, arts coordinator for Gainesville Art Scene and Gainesville Artwalk, wrote in an email.

Throughout the festival, there will be live art demonstrations, interactive art, bands and the Soup to Nuts Food Truck, along with a number of artists displaying their art. About 300 people are expected to attend, Moua said. 

First Magnitude Brewing Company does a lot of events to support the community, said Christine Denny, co-founder of First Magnitude Brewing Company.

“There is no specific amount that we are trying to raise,” Denny said. “We are just trying to raise awareness about art.”

After seeing her friends RSVP for the event on Facebook, Katherine Dagand, a 20-year-old UF political science and public relations junior, said she plans to attend.

“I love festivals, especially art ones because they bring the community together and it is something different to do instead of just going to local bars,” Dagand said. “I get really inspired by the culture and the messages those artists portray in their works.”

There will also be a raffle taking place during the event for gift cards and items from local businesses.

Donations will be accepted to continue running the monthly Artwalk event that is held the last Friday of each month from 7 to 10 p.m.

Gainesville Artwalk is a free monthly event that combines visual art and live performances to experience the creativity that the Gainesville community has to offer. 

On Friday, First Magnitude Brewing Company will also be one of the stops during the Artwalk.

The Gainesville Art Scene and Gainesville Artwalk makes it possible to raise awareness and teach others about the importance of art, Denny said.

[A version of this story ran on page 7 on 3/26/2015 under the headline “Spring Local Arts Festival and Fundraiser at First Magnitude”]