Student Government Productions brings Dirty Heads to perform Wednesday

Students can wrap up their Spring semester by watching the Dirty Heads perform Wednesday night.

Student Government Productions is presenting the reggae band as part of its second free show of the semester, along with Mayday as the opening act. 

The show will be held at the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts at 8 p.m. Doors open at 7.

Seating for the show is first come, first served. Students with a Gator 1 Card can claim two tickets at the Phillips Center Box Office starting Tuesday at noon, said Whitney Congress, the vice chair of public relations of SGP and a 21-year-old public relations senior.

SGP bought out the tickets for $35,000 from Anschutz Entertainment Group Live, an entertainment company that originally booked the band, Brad Wheeler, chairman of SGP, wrote in an email.

“We are doing ticket subsidy for the Dirty Heads,” he said. “We are not bringing them ourselves.”

The Dirty Heads are from Huntington Beach, California. The group is committed to telling their story through their feel-good reggae music, Congress said. 

The opening act for the show, Mayday, is a hip-hop style group from Miami.

The Dirty Heads were chosen to perform after SGP received feedback from a survey sent out to UF students. 

The results suggested students wanted to see a different genre of music than what SGP has recently offered.

“We haven’t had a reggae or rock band in a while,” Congress said.

This prompted the first free show, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, as well as the upcoming show.

“(The Dirty Heads) wanted to come to the University of Florida. They thought it would be a good venue for them,” Congress said. “It’s right before finals begin, so it’s a great time to come out and relax.”

Jenel Schwind, a 19-year-old UF finance sophomore, said she plans to attend the concert.

“It gives people the chance to take a quick break right before they have to take their finals,” she said.