UF Student Senate rejects nomination for supervisor of elections

UF’s Student Government is still looking for a supervisor of elections after Student Body President Joselin Padron-Rasines’ recommendation failed to receive a two-thirds majority vote in the Student Senate on Tuesday.

Padron-Rasines nominated Sarah Winter, who served as an assistant supervisor for the last three elections.

Majority party leader Charlie Brown Jr. (Swamp, Agriculture) said during the first round of pro-con debate that he felt Winter had a conflict of interest because she volunteered for the Swamp Party in her first semester on campus prior to becoming an assistant supervisor of elections, which he said gave him reservations about approving her nomination.

“That’s not something our party stands for,” Brown said. “That’s not something I stand for.”

Minority party leader Michael Christ (Access, Graduate) expressed his support for Winter during the following round, adding that if there were a conflict of interest, it would have been revealed in at least one of the past three elections.

The recommendation was shot down after a vote of 29 yes to 42 no.

New Senators approved

UF’s Student Senate approved the recommendation of 14 replacement senators: Three permanent replacements, three replacements for the Summer A semester and eight replacements for the Summer C semester. 

Twelve senators were also approved for seats on five different standing committees, and Hammaad Saber (Access, Engineering) was appointed as the Judiciary liaison.

Legislation

The Senate unanimously approved Resolution 2015-1030 — Resolution Supporting the Expansion of Free Printing Across Campus — on Tuesday.