Generic Crime
Generic Crime

The state attorney cleared two Alachua County Sheriff’s Office deputies last week in the May 12 shooting of a man outside the Northside Shopping Center Winn-Dixie, according to ASO spokesman Art Forgey.

ASO K-9 Deputies Christopher Griseck and Michael Hurlocker were driving to the scene of an armed robbery to assist Gainesville Police officers when they saw a man matching the robber’s description, according to a Florida Department of Law Enforcement report.

In a dashcam video released by the sheriff’s office, the deputies asked Yowab Ben-Israel, 46, to show his hands, but Ben-Israel instead backed away and drew a revolver.

The deputies then fired 11 rounds from their .38 caliber revolvers, six by Hurlocker and five by Griseck, according to the FDLE report. Ben-Israel sustained non-fatal bullet wounds in his lower stomach and left arm, which ASO and Gainesville Police officers tended to in the parking lot.

Police later found two rounds in Ben-Israel’s revolver, along with more than $1,100 in cash and $685 in money orders in his pockets.

Authorities arrested Ben-Israel on charges of robbery with a firearm and possession of a weapon by a convicted felon. Police took him to the Alachua County Jail where he remained as of press time without bail.