Books-A-Million closes, consignment store to open in place

<p>Books-A-Million recently closed its location at 2601 NW 13th St. In its place, 2nd and Charles will open in the middle of November.</p>

Books-A-Million recently closed its location at 2601 NW 13th St. In its place, 2nd and Charles will open in the middle of November.

As students rush to purchase books at the beginning of the semester, there is one less bookstore in Gainesville.

Books-A-Million recently closed its doors at its Northwest 13th Street location, leaving students with one less place to scour the shelves.

In its place, 2nd & Charles will open in the middle of November, offering students a chance to exchange or buy books, vinyl, CDs, e-readers, tablets, video games, movies, comics and audiobooks. The store will also offer visitors a chance to convert CDs into vinyls.

Scott Kappler, vice president of marketing at Books-A-Million, Inc., said it’s a broader market for students interested in collectibles.

For those reluctant to part with Books-A-Million, the location on West Newberry Road remains open, he said.

Describing the new store as a buy, sell, trade market, Kappler said customers would be able to peruse a variety of reused and recycled goods. Customers who sell will receive store credit or cash.

Customers can sell their lightly loved collectibles and get something new in return; it’s the “thrill of the hunt,”  Kappler said.

Casey Twist, an exploratory engineering freshman, said she is looking forward to the opening.

“It’s nice to make money off my paperbacks rather than letting them sit and collect dust,” the 18-year-old said.