<p>Freshman Caeleb Dressel jumps into the pool at the start of the 200-yard breaststroke event during Day 3 of the 2014 Pinch A Penny Invitational</p>

Freshman Caeleb Dressel jumps into the pool at the start of the 200-yard breaststroke event during Day 3 of the 2014 Pinch A Penny Invitational

With their seasons starting on Friday at the All Florida Invitational in Gainesville, expectations are high for Florida’s men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams, led by head swimming coach Gregg Troy and diving coach Dale Schultz.

"We always have quite a few athletes that have international aspirations, it has kind of been a tradition of this program," Troy said.

"It makes this year exciting, it makes it very unique, but it also makes it a little bit of a coaching challenge because you have multiple targets."

The men’s team returns sophomore Caeleb Dressel, who won the 50m freestyle NCAA title during his freshman year and had a huge showing this summer at the U.S. Nationals, becoming the second fastest American in the 50 and 100-meter freestyle races.

"He’s become much more of a team leader (than last year)," Troy said. "He handles practice dramatically better already than what he did at any point last year. There is a tremendous upside to what he can do."

The men’s team is also adding a freshman recruiting class that includes U.S. Swimming junior national team member Ross Palazzo and National Club Swimming Association competitors Brennan Balogh and Alex Lebed.

They will be joined by Jan Switkowski, a transfer from Virginia Tech who placed third in the 200m butterfly at the world championships this summer while competing for the Polish national team.

Since Troy took over the team during the 1999-2000 season, the Gators have always finished with a top-10 NCAA ranking.

On the women’s team, the roster is smaller and lacks the depth of the men’s squad.

UF’s incoming freshmen will have an opportunity to contribute early in the season.

The freshman class includes Hannah Burns, an athlete who has the ability to swim many different events. Sydney Sell from Frankfort, Kentucky, gives the team speed with her backstroke, and Mollie Pulte from Troy, Michigan, is a solid freestyle swimmer.

"We’ve got a lot of newcomers that could have an instant impact this year on both the men’s and women’s team," Troy said.

Follow Lauren Staff on Twitter @LStaff27