New RecSports building to increase jobs, provide equipment

Next summer, students will be able to rent tents from a new Department of Recreational Sports center.

The Center for Outdoor Recreation and Education is currently being built and, when finished, students will be able to rent camping and aquatics equipment, such as kayaks and camping backpacks. The center will also host workshops to teach students camping skills, said Jackie Matthews, the center’s coordinator.

Matthews estimates the addition will be finished by Summer 2016.

The new building will be next to the Southwest Recreation Center, said David Bowles, the director of the Department of RecSports.

The new center will cost about $1.8 million to build, said Catherine Cramp, the associate director for programs at RecSports.

UF’s Travel and Recreation Program, more commonly known as UF TRiP, will expand and become a major feature to the new center, Matthews said. UF TRiP is an existing program through RecSports where students guide one another on outdoor excursions.

UF TRiP leader Austin Schmitz said he is excited about the program’s expansion.

"I think all the RecSports facilities, along with the new building, complete and promote the healthy and active lifestyle that is so important to UF students," the 21-year-old UF biochemistry and molecular biology junior said.

Matthews said she wants students to experience nature by renting equipment and participating in UF TRiP.

"We want to empower students to do things on their own," Matthews said.

The current renting program is temporarily on hold until the new building’s completion.

Matthews said RecSports will be hiring students for the new center.

The employees will serve as core associates and core supervisors, who will assist with the renting facility and direct guests to workshops, UF TRiP schedules and other outdoor information, Cramp said.

Schmitz said his favorite part of the newly expanded UF TRiP is how it educates students.

"We have the opportunity to show students nature in ways that they may have never seen before," he said.