Students will finally have access to the newly renovated areas of the Reitz Union next semester.

The renovations will be completed in late December and open to students at the beginning of January.

The $75 million project, which will add on 120,000 square feet of new space and renovate 95,000 square feet, began in October 2013.

The target completion date had been the beginning of Fall, said Eddie Daniels, executive director of the Reitz.

"There’s still a little bit of work going on," Daniels said.

Construction teams still need to finish the installation of the walls, ceilings and floors, he said. The electrical wiring also needs to be completed.

The add-on will include three departments, student organization spaces and two dance studios.

The Orange and Brew, a restaurant space and brewery, will also reopen next to the renovated game room, Daniels said. The Orange and Brew will feature a Wing Zone and a stage for entertainment.

The colonnade, which was an open, covered area where students could promote organizations, will be recreated.

The expansion will also bring a new Rion Ballroom, he said.

Previously on the second floor, it will now be on the third as a two-story multi-purpose space.

A grand opening will be held in late February, he said.

"We think, and we hope, that students will be wowed," Daniels said. "They’re going to see an absolutely amazing building."

While UF students are excited for the renovations, some remain skeptical of the timeline.

"I think it’s very not set-in-stone," said UF chemistry sophomore Tatiana Gerena. "I know they pushed it back last year."

Gerena said she’s excited to have more space for clubs to meet.

"It would be cool to wind down at the Reitz after a long day of studying," the 19-year-old said.

Contact Caitlin Ostroff at costroff@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter @ceostroff