Students celebrate life and remember lives lost on 9/11

<p>Lubavitch-Chabad Jewish Student Center and the Lubavitch-Chabad Student Group setup a memorial board and replica twin towers for the Sept. 11 victims in Turlington Plaza Friday. Representatives of the Center and club urged students to write down good deeds on slips of paper and attach them to the display.</p>

Lubavitch-Chabad Jewish Student Center and the Lubavitch-Chabad Student Group setup a memorial board and replica twin towers for the Sept. 11 victims in Turlington Plaza Friday. Representatives of the Center and club urged students to write down good deeds on slips of paper and attach them to the display.

Friday afternoon, UF senior Sierra McVeigh saw a replica of the twin towers on Turlington Plaza.

She was one of more than 911 people to write a good deed on a piece of paper and tack it to one of the towers.

The Lubavitch-Chabad Jewish Student Center and the Chabad-Lubavitch Student Group hosted their annual 9/11 Good Deed Marathon — an event they’ve been putting on for more than 10 years, said Rabbi Aaron Notik, who was helping with the event.

The two hosting groups created the event to encourage people to add positivity to a dark day, Notik said.

"Fourteen years ago on this day, the world became a darker place, as we all know too well," he said. "Our tradition teaches us that the best way to dispel that darkness is with light and, you know, goodness and positivity."

It was McVeigh’s first time adding a good deed to the towers.

"I think it’s nice that people are still remembering it and not forgetting that it happened," the 21-year-old said. "In general, I think that it’s good to think about doing a good deed every day."

Notik said students were the ones behind the marathon. They rotated shifts during classes and encouraged people to fill out good deed forms.

"A small measure of light can dispel a huge amount of darkness," he said.

Arik Benlevy, 19, a member of the Chabad-Lubavitch Student Group, said the group’s goal was to get 911 people to pledge to do good deeds — and they surpassed it. At the end of the event, good deeds were plastered all over the towers.

"I love bringing light into this world, and that’s why I do it," Benlevy said. "I love seeing everyone come together for a common cause."