UF center hosts voter-registration kickoff

UF health science sophomore Pooja Surkanti isn’t registered to vote, but she’s taking a step to change that today.

The 19-year-old said she will attend the Bob Graham Center for Public Services’ voter-registration kickoff, which will be in Pugh Hall from 10:20 a.m. to 4 p.m. today. The Andrew Goodman Foundation’s Vote Everywhere program will partner with the center. The goal of the event is to get people to register to vote, said Michael Beato, one of the event planners. Students can register at the event.

"Students are the future leaders of the country," the UF economics junior said.

Beato, 21, said the Graham Center will engage students through TurboVote, which helps people register to vote by alerting them of upcoming elections. The Graham Center will give students free pizza and those who register on TurboVote will be entered to win raffle prizes, like Starbucks gift cards and GoPro cameras, Beato said.

"This is the first year UF has had the Vote Everywhere program really be represented," said Megan Newsome, another event planner.

The center hopes 100 to 200 people will attend, said Newsome, a 19-year-old UF physics and astronomy sophomore.

Surkanti said people should register because it’s a civic duty.

"If you don’t vote, you don’t get the right to complain," she said.