Florida volleyball avenges loss, sweeps Arkanasas

<p>UF setter Mackenzie Dagostino (6) hits the ball up for middle blocker Rhamat Alhassan (1) during Florida's 3-0 win against St. John's on Sept. 17, 2015, in the O'Connell Center.</p>

UF setter Mackenzie Dagostino (6) hits the ball up for middle blocker Rhamat Alhassan (1) during Florida's 3-0 win against St. John's on Sept. 17, 2015, in the O'Connell Center.

The Gators sought revenge Friday night.

After dropping a hard fought fifth-set match to Arkansas on Oct. 4 in Fayetteville, UF didn’t let the rematch between the two teams go to a fifth set again.

The Gators didn’t even see a fourth set, as No. 15 Florida swept Arkansas (25-10, 25-16, 25-16) in about 80 minutes Friday night in the O’Connell Center.

UF didn’t let Arkansas take the lead the entire match.

The Gators (14-4, 6-3 Southeastern Conference) took control in the first set early.

Senior middle blocker Simone Antwi got UF on the board with a kill before senior setter Mackenzie Dagostino served up back-to-back aces to take a 3-0 lead.

The Gators used a four-point run and a six-point run to grab a 16-5 lead and run away with set one 25-10.

Florida, which hit .449 in the match, didn’t make many errors, and even when they did they resulted in favor of the Gators.

Up 20-8 in the first set, Dagostino set a ball to her left to Antwi, who swung mightily but whiffed. The ball floated over the net and into Arkansas’ side of the court where no Razorbacks could reach it.

“That was actually a mistake. I didn’t get the tempo to her fast enough,” Dagostino said. “But thankfully I was angled at the right position that it just kinda trickled right over that net.”

Dagostino said the key for Florida this time around was creating havoc on the Razorbacks’ side of the court. That havoc led to Arkansas hitting .067 in the match.

“When you make it hectic for them it makes easy plays like that hard to get,” she said.

Arkansas (13-6, 3-4 SEC) kept the second set tight early.

Both teams went neck and neck and were tied at 12-12 and 13-13.

But five straight points including two kills from senior outside hitter Ziva Recek gave UF the 18-13 cushion they needed to go on and steal set two 25-16.

The third set featured more domination from the Gators.

Florida jumped out to an 8-2 lead in the third set before Arkansas fought back with five straight points.

Both teams traded points before sophomore middle blocker Rhamat Alhassan took control of the court.

Up one at 13-12, Alhassan pounded four kills to help lead the Gators on an 11-3 swing and complete the sweep by winning the third set 25-16.

Alhassan, who finished with a match-high 14 kills, said it was important to put nonstop pressure on the Razorbacks.

“Arkansas is that team that if you give them a little leeway they will push back,” Alhassan said. “They fought it hard until the end.”

Florida will next square off Sunday against Missouri at 1:30 p.m., who also defeated the Gators in five sets this season.

But with a five-game win streak under its belt heading into Sunday’s match, UF has more confidence than last time.

“If I was Missouri I’d be worried coming into this game,” Dagostino said. “We’ve gotten our mojo back.”

Follow Patrick Pinak on Twitter @Pinakk12