UF entrepreneurship professor gives students startup tips

UF management master’s student Robyn Quiroga said she hopes to one day open a business with friends.

To learn the skills to create her own startup, the 29-year-old said she will attend the UF Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation’s workshop tonight at Infinity Hall from 7 p.m. to 8:15 p.m. Students can also listen to keynote speaker Michael Morris.

Morris, the program director for the Center for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, will highlight the unexpected trials that come with starting a business. He said he wants to show attendees how to think about people, resources and money. He will not be paid.

"The essential focus is to look at entrepreneurship as a journey and to highlight the unexpected things that will happen on that journey," Morris said. "This is less about advice and more about the entrepreneur’s personal journey."

Morris, who has been teaching entrepreneurship for about 30 years, said he will also share his personal experiences of starting a business.

"Business startup failure rates are significant," Morris said. "Much of that is because of lack of understanding of the reality of what you’re in for."

Quiroga said she’s excited for the workshop and hopes to learn something new.

"I attend the entrepreneurship events because the speakers are always very good, and they provide a much more realistic take on business," she said.