UF students celebrate National Arts and Humanities month

Paintings will adorn trees throughout the Plaza of the Americas on Wednesday.

The paintings will be one of the UF College of the Arts student showcases for Pop-Up Culture, an event celebrating National Art and Humanities Month. From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., students will display their artistic abilities, showing off interactive artwork and performing for a live audience. The event grew from about 14 student groups last year to about 30 groups participating this week, said Leah Spellman, the public relations and marketing manager for the college.

The college regularly hosts concerts and gallery shows, and this event served as a way to show what students are continually doing, said Lucinda Lavelli, dean of the college.

"What we wanted to do was put a spotlight on what we were already doing," Lavelli said.

Students who see most of the artwork and performances can receive a screen-printed T-shirt that’s made in front of attendees, Spellman said.

UF public relations sophomore Daniel Hopin will play the saxophone with his band, The Solar Ellipsis.

"We’re expecting to play music, have some new people hear us and have a good time," the 19-year-old said.

Lavelli said this is the only time in the year the arts and humanities come together.

"This day is like looking at a prism," she said. "You adjust it like this, and you see all the beautiful colors and here you see all the different facets."