UF students are taking a stand for their health — by walking.

About 500 people will participate in "Walk to Eliminate Health Disparities: Walking to Promote a Healthy Weight," said Ada Ukonu, the program’s community education, research and outreach coordinator. The walk will take place outside the Stephen C. O'Connell Center and is set to start at 8 a.m.

The UF Health Disparities Research and Intervention Program hasn’t hosted the walk since 2011 because there wasn’t adequate funding or available staff, the 27-year-old said. But this year, it was able to gather more financial sponsors and volunteers.

As people walk the 5K around the O’Connell Center, they will learn to be physically active, a key component of maintaining a healthy weight, Ukonu said.

"I think there is increasing awareness of health issues, such as obesity, that affects individuals in Florida," she said.

UF health science junior Anthony Black said he hopes to go to the walk.

"This is an issue that affects a majority of Americans," the 20-year-old said.

He said the walk will bring people together for a healthy cause.

But he said he also thinks UF could do more to promote healthy lifestyles, like keeping the dining halls open longer. The only places open late at night are usually unhealthy options, he said.

"There has been a decline in our nation’s health," Black said.

Editor's Note: This story has been updated to reflect a correction. Saturday's walk will take place outside of the Stephen C. O'Connell Center. We originally reported otherwise.