Campus debate aims to give students a voice

Michael Strickland said he believes in universal health care, and he plans to tell his peers why today on the Plaza of the Americas.

The UF biochemistry and molecular biology junior will attend Debater’s Corner, an event hosted by Gators for Hillary. It will serve to create a nonpartisan platform for students to talk about what they think is important in the upcoming presidential election. It will be held from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., said Alfredo Ramirez, the event’s coordinator and a Gators for Hillary volunteer.

The 20-year-old UF political science junior said there will be a "debate zone" on the middle of the plaza, with a lectern set up for students to speak about their concerns.

Campus political organizations, such as Gators for Rubio and Humanists on Campus, will set up tables around the debate zone.

"The idea of it is to use the free-speech zone to stimulate an intellectual and productive discussion," Ramirez said.

He said attendees will discuss their stances on issues important to them, ranging from the availability of Pell Grants to the prevalence of global warming.

As for Strickland, the president of Humanists on Campus, he said he hopes to challenge more conservative students to think seriously about political issues.

"If people aren’t discussing these issues, they aren’t making informed decisions," he said.