Gloria Li struggled to balance her Asian and American identities.

"I went to Chinese school and learned the language my family speaks," the UF biology freshman said. "Yet at the same time, it’s hard to maintain that culture in America."

Li, 18, said she is excited to attend tonight’s Women’s Empower Hour, which is hosted by UF’s Asian Pacific Islander American Affairs. The two-day series, which starts at 5 p.m. today in the Florida Gym, centers around Asian American writer and news producer Sahra Vang Nguyen, who will speak to female students about their struggles surrounding gender and ethnicity. The event is funded by Multicultural and Diversity Affairs, and as of press time, the event’s cost was not disclosed. It is free and open to all students.

Event director Candice Luc,19, said the discussion encourages creativity among Asian American women. The UF civil engineering sophomore said she is looking forward to the workshop on graffiti culture, which will include a spray-painting activity in the Norman Tunnel.

"In Asian American communities, art isn’t necessarily encouraged," Luc said.

Li said she also feels that stigma.

"I think the popular stereotype of Asian American women is that they are demur or complacent," she said. "The fact that this event is meant to empower Asian American women and explore their creativity, I think it’s something new that we need."