Generic Crime
Generic Crime

University Police arrested a UF student early Thursday morning after police said he had several knives and a bong in his car.

At about 1 a.m. Thursday, Tyler Jump, 20, drove near Corry Village Apartments and seemed suspicious, causing police to pull him over, according to a police report.

Jump told police he was nervous because he had a .38-caliber revolver in his glove box, according to the report. After Jump stepped out of the car, an officer noticed the handle of a large Bowie knife sticking out from under the driver’s seat, according to the report.

Police then searched the car after spotting a glass bong. They found marijuana in the bong and two more Bowie knives wedged between the seat and center console, along with a Tramadol pill inside the center console, according to the report. Jump is a UF history junior, university spokesman Steve Orlando said.

He is listed in the UF directory as an employee at the Springs Residential Complex for students and as a cheerleader on the Florida Gators' website. Police arrested Jump on charges of possessing marijuana, possessing drugs without a prescription and possessing drug paraphernalia, along with three charges of carrying a concealed weapon. Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail, where he was released Thursday evening on a $35,000 bond.

Contact Giuseppe Sabella at gsabella@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @Gsabella