Chicken Salad Chick gives free food

Jessica Kneeland first tried Chicken Salad Chick when she worked in Montgomery, Alabama, two summers ago.

Now, the UF history junior is counting down the days for the restaurant’s grand opening in Gainesville.

"I love it," the 20-year-old said. "I’m so excited it’s coming here."

Chicken Salad Chick, a restaurant specializing in chicken salad, will be opening today in University Towne Center. For the rest of the week, the restaurant staff will give away limited amounts of free food and merchandise, including 16 weeks of free chicken salad to the first 100 people to visit today.

"This is something new that we’ve started, and it’s just a great way to build traction," said Libby Massey, marketing assistant for the restaurant. "Our guests get to know our menu, and we get to know the community at the same time."

Victor Steven, the general manager of the restaurant, said he is ordering about $24,000 to $30,000 dollars in food for this week’s events. Five percent of proceeds made on the first day will go toward United Way.

The restaurant, which does not serve alcohol, offers 15 different flavors of chicken salad, deli sandwiches and a variety of desserts, said Lauren Long, a corporate trainer at the restaurant.

Kneeland said she especially likes the different flavors of chicken salad and enjoys using the salad as a dip.

"People are aware of it (the restaurant)," Kneeland said. "I think it will definitely catch on."