<p>Freshman Caeleb Dressel jumps into the pool at the start of the 200-yard breaststroke event during Day 3 of the 2014 Pinch A Penny Invitational</p>

Freshman Caeleb Dressel jumps into the pool at the start of the 200-yard breaststroke event during Day 3 of the 2014 Pinch A Penny Invitational

Caeleb Dressel is ready to break more records.

The sophomore racked up awards in 2015, winning Southeastern Conference Freshman Swimmer of the Year while earning First Team All-SEC and All-Freshman Team honors.

But, perhaps most impressively, Dressel became the first UF swimmer to win the 50-yard freestyle NCAA Championship in his first NCAA postseason appearance.

The feat was also the first NCAA Championship victory by a UF freshman since 2005, and the first individual crown by a UF freshman since 2002.

"I just couldn’t get over the fact that I actually saw the number one next to my name," Dressel said in a release after the meet on March 27.

"Then on the podium, I saw my mom and I got a little choked up."

This year, the No. 4 ranked men’s swimming and diving team is without veteran swimmers Eduardo Solaeche-Gomez and Dan Wallace.

Wallace placed second in the 500-yard freestyle at the 2015 NCAA Championships.

However, they return juniors Mitch D’Arrigo and Jack Blyzinskyj as well as sophomore Mark Szaranek, all of whom competed in last year’s NCAAs.

With a strong returning core, the men’s team will try to win its fourth-straight SEC team championship and first national championship since 1984.

The women’s team is also hoping to make a deep run into the postseason, spurred by a successful set of results during the fall.

Both the men’s and women’s teams won four of their fall events, including two first place finishes at the Buckeye Invitational on Nov. 22.

The No. 11 ranked women’s team is led by seniors Jessica Thielmann and Natalie Hinds, who captured the 1,650-yard freestyle and 100-yard freestyle SEC title in 2015, respectively.

They also return sophomore Amelia Maughan, who finished first at the SEC Championships in the 200-yard freestyle.

This year, the women’s team will look to win its first SEC team championship since 2009 and first national championship since 2010.

And, so far, they’re on track.

Florida’s swimming and diving teams began 2016 with wins over Florida State on Jan. 2.

"Beating a rival is always exciting and good for the fans," coach Martin Wilby said in a release after UF’s win over FSU.

"But from a coaching standpoint we took this win ultimately as an opportunity to see where we’re at and what we need to improve on as we approach the postseason."

Follow Ian Cohen on Twitter @icohenb