Hunter Hayes, Cassadee Pope to perform at O’Connell Center

Hunter Hayes, a Grammy-nominated country singer-songwriter, will perform at UF.

Cassadee Pope, the winner of season three of “The Voice,” will open for Hayes on March 16. The event, which is free for students, starts at 7:30 p.m. at the Stephen C. O’Connell Center. The two singers will be paid a combined $101,500, said Bobby Finigan, the chairman of Student Government Productions. Finigan said he wanted UF to have a diverse group of performers and wanted to bring a country singer to UF.

“Every year we want to bring different genres,” Finigan said. “Between the Gainesville community and UF students, country is very popular, and we feel Hunter and Cassadee are great country performers.”

Rachel Cook, a UF finance sophomore, said she’s excited to see the artists perform. 

“It’s really cool that I get to go with all my friends,” the 20-year-old said.

Students with their Gator 1 Cards can receive up to four free tickets starting at 10 a.m. Tuesday at the O’Connell Center box office. The general public can buy tickets for $15 from the box office or online starting at noon Feb. 4.

Contact Kaitlyn Newberg at knewberg@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter @k_newberg.