Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Gainesville Police arrested a Fort Wayne, Indiana, man Tuesday afternoon after police said he drove with 145 grams of marijuana in his trunk.

At about 4 p.m. Tuesday, Daniel Adams Garcia, 40, followed a car too closely while traveling south on State Road 93, according to the police report.

He caught the attention of police, who then stopped Garcia and approached his driver-side window. Garcia’s hands shook and he appeared nervous, according to the report.

Police asked Garcia if he had anything illegal and if they could search his car. Garcia denied having anything illegal and refused the search, according to the report.

While police checked Garcia’s license, a police dog sniffed around the outside of his car and alerted police to the smell of drugs, according to the report.

Officers then found 145 grams of weed, or about 5 ounces, in a green suitcase in Garcia’s trunk. Police also found a wooden pipe with marijuana residue inside, according to the report.

Police arrested Garcia on charges of possessing more than 20 grams of weed and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail where, as of press time, he remains in lieu of a $60,000 bond.

Contact Martin Vassolo at mvassolo@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @martindvassolo