Providing 25 years of books and services to the community

Kendall Ackley first entered the Alachua County Headquarters Library 12 years ago. 

Ackley, a 26-year-old UF doctoral student in physics, said people from around Gainesville visit the library for its resources. 

“It brings about a sense of community,” she said.  

On Saturday, about 12 years after her first visit, Ackley browsed the library’s nonfiction section.

Renee Patterson, a technical services administrator for the library, said the library is celebrating its 25th anniversary today.

The library opened Feb. 2, 1991, and has since added more computers, along with resume and interview training, to further its mission of providing community resources. 

“Anyone who needs access to the computer, and so many do now to find a job, can come here,” she said. “It’s not just ‘come and try to find something.’” 

Patterson said the library is a Gainesville landmark.

“It’s a beautiful building,” she said. “It’s a community center and it’s been supported by this community through the years.” 

From 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., library staff are celebrating the anniversary by opening a time capsule, guiding visitors on behind-the-scenes tours and giving speeches.

Antonio Portillo, 57, said he started traveling from his home at St. Francis House to the library for its computers about a month ago. 

“I come here looking for work,” he said. 

“My favorite thing is that you have access to almost anything you want, really,” Ackley said.