In an orange floral shirt, a black blazer and black slacks, Heather Brown found herself surrounded by men and women dressed in orange and blue on the steps of the State Capitol.

“We as a Gator Nation are very, very strong,” the 22-year-old UF elementary education senior said. “We can really come together as one of the strongest forces to accomplish something for the Gator good.”

Brown traveled to Tallahassee for Gator Day — a day where UF students meet with UF alumni at the state level and lobby for funding — with about 100 students, administrators and faculty members. This was the second time members of UF lobbied this semester.

Matthew Hoeck, the director of external affairs for UF’s Student Government, said it was one of the highest turnouts they’ve had, with about 40 students from SG and 30 from Florida Blue Key. The students tried to get funding for Norman Hall, the College of Engineering and the Counseling and Wellness Center with lobbyists, legislators and representatives.

Jane Adams, the vice president of University Relations, said it was a good day, with 11 of UF’s 16 colleges represented.

“We had a wonderful opportunity to tell the University-of-Florida story to people of Tallahassee and people in the Capitol,” she said.

UF President Kent Fuchs and UF football coach Jim McElwain also joined the group, where Hoeck said they spoke at a luncheon. McElwain’s speech encouraged the group to continue to lobby for UF.

“Not only is it a pep rally, but it’s also a moment to set the direction for our rising university,” Hoeck said. “We all succeed and grow together.”

Contact Melissa Gomez at mgomez@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter @MelissaGomez004