UF students are raising money to help people with heart disease.

Gators for The Children’s Heart Foundation will host its second annual Gainesville Congenital Heart Walk on April 16 on Flavet Field. The event aims to fund heart-defect research and educate the community about heart disease.

Last year, the walk raised $36,000. This year, their goal is $45,000. The group started fundraising Oct. 8 and has raised $925 as of press time.

Rachel Sharp, a 21-year-old UF history senior, said she started the event last year with her friend Isabella Camacho. Sharp said they did the walk because Camacho’s brother has congenital heart disease.

UF’s is the first college group to do a Congenital Heart Walk, Sharp said. 

“All funds go directly to The Children’s Heart Foundation and the Adult Congenital Heart Association to combat congenital heart disease,” Sharp said. “It’s a very important cause because one in 100 babies are born with a CHD.”

Sophia Young, a UF marketing freshman, said she attended the event last year and is going to be a team captain this year.

“I’m personally driven because my sister had a form of it,” the 18-year-old said.

She said her sister has atrial septal defect, a type of heart defect.

Cassie Schuster, a UF biology sophomore and vice president of Gators for The Children’s Heart Foundation, said she wants to make the event for all ages.

“Last year, there were two caricatures who dressed up as Anna and Elsa from from ‘Frozen,’ face painting, a warm-up with yoga instructor before the dance, as well as sports kids could play,” the 19-year-old said. “This year, we are going to bring more energy and excitement.”