Zika virus has little effect on student travels

As the Department of Health’s website posts daily updates on the Zika virus, traveling UF staff and students are taking precautions.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have recorded 26 countries in Central and South America with active mosquito-borne transmission.

The virus’ presence in North America, including the case that arose in Alachua County on Friday, is likely the result of travelers returning to the U.S. from these areas, according to a DOH update Monday.

UF Study Abroad services offer trips to more than a dozen South and Central American countries.

Angela Miller, the director of UF Study Abroad services, said the university sent an alert on the outbreak to students who signed up for a trip.

No students have canceled their study abroad trips thus far.

“We are monitoring the situation,” Miller said. “Students are advised to visit the CDC website, which has some recommendations on how to prevent the virus.”

While not likely, she said trips could be canceled if the situation becomes more severe.

“I’m not predicting that this is going to be a huge issue, but it does have national attention,” Miller said. “I want students to take the proper precautionary measures.”

Valerie Ferretti is traveling to Nicaragua for a mission trip with Filter of Hope during Spring Break. About 40 students are traveling to the country in Central America and providing water filters to those in need.

Ferretti said someone recently posted on the group’s Facebook page about the Zika virus, asking if they should be concerned.

Another group member then linked to a CDC prevention article in the comments, she said.

Ferretti, a 19-year-old UF special education sophomore, said she would go on the trip no matter what.

“I’m going to wear long sleeves and long pants and basically bathe in mosquito repellent,” she said. “My mom even ordered me a mosquito net to take and didn’t tell me; it just showed up at my door. I guess she’s more worried than me.”

Contact Molly Donovan at mdonovan@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter @Mollyidonovan.