Bernie supporters to hold bar crawl tonight

For some, tonight is all about beer and Bernie.

Kent Willis, who works for Alachua County Wants Bernie Sanders, organized Bernie’s Bar Crawl, which takes place tonight at 8 p.m.

The organization is a grassroots campaign headquartered at 1406 NW 6th St. and referred to by volunteers as “The Bern-Unit,” Willis wrote in a Facebook message.

The crawl starts at Market Street Pub, followed by Tall Paul’s Brew House and Whiskey House.

After presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders’ rally Thursday, Willis said interest in the bar crawl increased by about 20 percent.

“If we get too many people at the event, we’ll most likely be splitting into smaller groups,” he said.  

Members of the organization have discussed new destinations on the event’s Facebook page in hopes of not overwhelming the bars.

Willis said he will likely have Swamp Head Brewery’s Wild Night beer tonight.

David Rinehart, who graduated from UF in May 2015, said it was amazing to find a candidate who shares 100 percent of his views.

“I’m extremely passionate about immigration,” Rinehart said. “I want to hear from other people and what they’re passionate about.”

Rinehart’s favorite drink is First Magnitude Brewing Company’s 72 Pale Ale.

Willis and Rinehart both said Bernie directly affects college students, especially with his promise to make college tuition free.

After the crawl, Sanders supporters who are inclined to dancing may visit Simons or University Club, according to the event’s Facebook page.