Butler Plaza update: 1.8 million square feet, traffic concerns

Butler Enterprises recently announced the addition of a Marshalls and an Ashley HomeStore to its ongoing developments.

The 1.8 million square-foot expansion includes more than a dozen new businesses, according to a press release.

Along with the two recently announced stores, a Dick’s Sporting Goods, Wal-Mart Supercenter and Sam’s Club will open before Fall, Cory Presnick, the chief financial officer of Butler Enterprises, said.

“I think we’ll have 80 to 90 percent of the folks open by the end of August when school is really coming back in full,” he said.

Between April and June, Butler Plaza will have a new Jimmy John’s, Orangetheory Fitness, Eyeglass Express and Brown Salon, according to the release.

As new businesses arise, others will fall, Presnick said.

He said the current Wal-Mart and Lowe’s will eventually be demolished, and a town center will take their place.

Gainesville resident Jackie Vo said she believes the renovations will prove to be more frustrating than convenient.

“I feel like it’ll just be more congested over here,” Vo said.

In response to the community’s concerns, Presnick said Butler Enterprises built several roads, forming a grid and allowing visitors to avoid 34th Street and Archer Road.

Aside from traffic, Vo said northwest Gainesville, where she will soon move, is being neglected.

“That would be nice if they had something like Trader Joe’s on that side of town,” she said.

A Florida Credit Union, Lee Nails, Cricket Wireless, Jersey Mike’s Subs and Sports Clips are also scheduled to open in the Fall, according to the release.

Presnick said the project will create thousands of permanent retail and service jobs.

“Whether it’s retail jobs, service jobs and really just keeping that economic activity here,” he said.