Commission discusses minimum wage rules, debates exemptions

After Tuesday’s meeting, the Alachua County Commission decided to continue debating changes to a minimum-wage ordinance April 12.

Commissioners discussed how the ordinance, which could set a $12-per-hour minimum wage for employees under contract with Alachua County, should be framed around certain exemptions.

The exemptions discussed at Tuesday’s meeting would allow companies to pay certain people less than the $12 minimum.

“The devil in these things is always in the exemptions,” Commissioner Mike Byerly said.

Commissioners removed several groups from the exemptions and kept other categories, such as people with certain disabilities who might have trouble competing for employment.

“If they can make ten widgets in an hour and then it takes the disabled person two hours to make those 10 widgets, then they’re allowed to decrease the minimum wage by a percentage,” Commissioner Michele Lieberman said. “It allows these individuals to work.”

About 70 people attended the meeting.

Evelyn Foxx, the president of Alachua County’s branch of the NAACP, said her organization supports the ordinance, but she wants fewer exemptions, especially for disabled people.

“Please do not exclude them or any of the other groups, because that would be discrimination,” she said, addressing the commission.  

Jeremiah Tattersall, a lead organizer for the Alachua County Labor Coalition, said the ordinance would affect about 200 county workers, depending on the exemptions.

“Workers deserve a minimum wage,” he said.  

Tattersall said the coalition members will continue to push for $14.60 per hour within the next five years. The ordinance is a starting point for allowing residents to live without outside assistance.

“If you work for a living, you should be able to live off that,” he said.  

Commissioners will evaluate the proposed ordinance and exemptions April 12.