A semitrailer damaged a series of power poles Thursday afternoon after crashing into overhead wires.

At about 2 p.m., the driver of a tractor-trailer snapped two power poles and cracked several more in the 5700 block of NW 23rd Ave., Gainesville Fire Rescue Operations Chief Michael Cowart said.

Some of the fallen wires landed on a moving car, trapping its occupants until firefighters arrived, Cowart said.

Though no injuries were reported, he said, the incident had potential to hurt residents or firefighters in the area.

He said the power lines could have energized the ground as well as cars, homes and metal fences.

Authorities notified residents to stay inside, he said.

The accident left residents without electricity for hours, and it forced authorities to block Northwest 23rd Avenue from Northwest 55th Street down to Northwest 83rd Street, the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office reported.

Due to its proximity to nearby schools, authorities called school officials and warned them not to dismiss students until the area was safe, Cowart said.

As of press time, authorities had opened the eastbound lane on Northwest 23rd Avenue, alleviating the hours-long traffic jam there, according to the sheriff’s office Facebook page.

Hours after the incident, residents in the area remained without electricity, Cowart said.  

Florida Highway Patrol is investigating the incident, sheriff’s office spokesman Art Forgey said.