<p>Pictured is the gun found in Aljuwan Melik Burnett’s hand by Gainesville Police Officer Andrew J. Bunevich on Tuesday morning. The gun was loaded with five bullets, according to the report.</p>

Pictured is the gun found in Aljuwan Melik Burnett’s hand by Gainesville Police Officer Andrew J. Bunevich on Tuesday morning. The gun was loaded with five bullets, according to the report.

A Gainesville Police officer tackled and arrested an armed man Tuesday morning.

At about 11 a.m., Officer Andrew J. Bunevich responded to a call of domestic battery in the 1100 block of NE 25th St., according to a police report.

He then stopped Aljuwan Melik Burnett, who was leaving the home, according to the report.

Burnett, 19, ignored the officer, stepped into the passenger seat of a white car and drove away, according to the report.

Bunevich followed in his police car and later located Burnett on NE 25th Terrace, where Burnett ran from the stopped car, according to the report.

Bunevich drove within 10 feet of Burnett, who stopped running and began to turn around, according to the report.

As he left his car and stepped closer, Bunevich noticed a black handgun in Burnett’s hand. The officer then grabbed Burnett’s hand and tackled him to the ground, knocking the gun away, according to the report.

The gun was loaded with five bullets, according to the report.

Burnett said he carried the gun for protection because he sells drugs, according to the report. Police later found 0.1 grams of crack cocaine hidden in a ChapStick tube in Burnett’s front pocket.

GPD spokesman Officer Ben Tobias said officers who undergo traumatic experiences can seek counseling services from the Employee Assistance Program.

Bunevich, however, did not seem shaken up, Tobias said.

“It’s just another day at the office for him,” he said. “By the time you’re really processing it, you’re on to the next call.”

Police later discovered the gun was stolen years ago in a residential burglary, according to the report.

Police arrested Burnett on charges of carrying an unlicensed, concealed firearm and possessing cocaine, along with two counts of committing a grand theft of a firearm.

Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail where he remains, as of press time, in lieu of a $30,000 bond.

Contact Martin Vassolo at mvassolo@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @martindvassolo