Saturday event to beautify Gainesville

Keep Alachua County Beautiful, an affiliate of the nonprofit organization Keep America Beautiful, will hold its Great American Cleanup this Saturday.

The event will take place at the Albert “Ray” Massey Westside Recreation Center, better known as Westside Park, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. The park is situated at 1001 NW 34th St.

Gina Hawkins, KACB’s executive director, said volunteers will pick up trash, sow plants and shred office paper, among other activities. She said residents are also welcome to dispose of hazardous household items.

While things such as tires, paint, chemicals, car batteries, fluorescent light bulbs and non-narcotic medications are accepted, ammunition and car rims are not, Hawkins said.

She said businesses may only dispose of paper.

Last year, after collecting a total of 164 tons of trash, KACB was awarded the national Great American Cleanup Award. Hawkins said about 800 people are expected to participate Saturday. 

“At the Great American Cleanup main event last year, we had 800 people, but had 4,044 (volunteers) for the whole year,” Hawkins said.

The event is co-sponsored by the City of Gainesville and Alachua County, she said.

Kelly Thomas, a 19-year-old UF biological engineering junior, has removed trash and other waste from downtown Gainesville while volunteering in the past. 

“It helped the environment and the community by reducing waste products that can harm animals and nature,” she wrote in an email.