With John Egbunu limited, UF’s chances at tourney are too

<p>John Egbunu dunks during Florida's 88-79 loss to Kentucky on March 1, 2016, in the O'Connell Center.</p>

John Egbunu dunks during Florida's 88-79 loss to Kentucky on March 1, 2016, in the O'Connell Center.

On Monday, while game-planning for its most important game of the year, Mike White was trying to figure out how Florida — the Southeastern Conference’s 10th-ranked team in points per game — was going to score.

And on Wednesday, UF announced that one of its most vital pieces — center John Egbunu — tore a ligament in his right thumb.

The timing was disastrous for Florida.

"Just really disappointing," White said on Wednesday.

"All you can do at this point is try to overcome it."

As the No. 8-seed Florida basketball team faces No. 9-seed Arkansas at 1 p.m. in the second round of the Southeastern Conference Tournament, it will be attempting to overcome more than just a limited Egbunu, who practiced on Wednesday and is expected to play with a brace.

UF must also fight past its disappointing end to the regular season, which saw it drop four of its last five games.

It must overcome its fall from a secured spot in the NCAA Tournament to a likely entry into the National Invitation Tournament.

It will be forced to advance far in Nashville, likely winning three or four games, to even be considered for a spot in the Big Dance.

And it’ll try to reverse its subpar performances away from the O’Connell Center this season, including a 4-8 record in true road games.

"I think it’s a heck of a league, of course. And you’ve got probably a few (teams) that are playing better than the rest," White said.

"But then you’ve probably got a middle group there of four or five teams that probably — night-in and night-out — will be competitive with those top four or five."

The Gators are hoping that they fall in that middle pack.

But first they’re focused on the Razorbacks, a team they beat by just four points at home on Feb. 3.

And with Egbunu limited with a brace, the question remains how Florida will limit 6-foot-10 Arkansas forward Moses Kingsley.

The 2016 second-team All-SEC member scored 15 points and grabbed nine rebounds in their last matchup, with Egbunu guarding him in the post for a majority of the game.

If Egbunu proves ineffective, White will be forced to turn to freshman forward Kevarrius Hayes or reserve center Schuyler Rimmer.

"Maybe he can fight through some pain and give his teammates some effort and some minutes," White said of Egbunu.

"Again, I’m not sure how effective he’s gonna be simply catching the basketball.

In Florida’s last home game, an 88-79 loss to Kentucky on Feb. 6, Egbunu finished with a game-high 27 points while collecting four rebounds and one block.

While Egbunu’s hand injury shouldn’t affect him much on the defensive end, his offensive game will likely suffer.

"...It ought to be interesting."

Contact Ian Cohen at icohen@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @icohenb