Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A Jacksonville, Florida, man was arrested on State Road 93 on Friday night after deputies said he drove drunk with three small children in the back seat.

At about 10:40 p.m., deputies with the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office received multiple calls about a reckless driver, according to an arrest report. Callers said the man drove onto curbs and nearly collided with another driver, according to an arrest report.

Soon after, deputies stopped Cody Eugene Hillbrand, 30, for driving without taillights and not having a license plate, according to an arrest report.

Deputies walked toward Hillbrand, who staggered out of the car with his pants unzipped, covered in what appeared to be urine, according to the report.

Deputies found spilled beer on the driver’s side floor mat of Hillbrand’s car. In the back seat, they noticed Hillbrand’s three small children, whose ages are unknown, according to the report.

The eldest daughter told authorities Hillbrand had been speeding and driving on curbs, and that she tried climbing into the passenger’s seat to stop him, according to the report.

She said Hillbrand drank up to four beers about an hour before deputies pulled him over, according to the report.

Deputies arrested him on three charges of child neglect and one charge of DUI. 

Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail, where, as of press time, he was released on a $25,000 bond.

@martindvassolo

mvassolo@alligator.org