Batty for burlesque: show to come to Gainesville

Sally Dash is going to Market Street Pub and Cabaret’s Benefit for Bats hoping to “laugh her ass off.”

Dash and about 70 others are expected to attend the Breakaway Burlesque: Benefit for Bats on Friday at 9 p.m., said Florence Rose, one of the producers for Breakaway Burlesque. Admission to the show, which is $7, will go toward the Lubee Bat Conservancy.

“Well, I think the show overall is going to be really funny, and I think that people really like to laugh,” the Market Street Pub and Cabaret bartender and producer said. 

Breakaway Burlesque is the newest burlesque group in Gainesville, and this is the first time the group has put on a bat-themed performance, Rose said.

“It really makes us all stretch our imagination,” she said.

The show will have 12 acts, put on by the group’s 8-member team and a guest performer, Rose said. During the one intermission, there will be a game for attendees to take part in.

“It’s (burlesque) dramatic stripping,” she said. “Some of the girls are going more dance oriented; I’m going more comedic with my acts.”

Angela Knox, a performer in the show and a co-founder of Breakaway Burlesque, said she is a big fan of bats.

“I’ve always found them interesting,” Knox said. “I have a lot of bat-themed things in my house.”