Column: Alligator helps editor find passion, career path

When I walked through the doors of this old building back in January 2014, I was in limbo.

I knew I wanted to get into sports somehow, but I didn’t know if writing for print was going to be my thing.

I’m not a journalism major. I’m not the greatest at grammar or sentence structure. I’m a telecommunications major, which honestly didn’t help me become a stronger writer.

The Alligator, though, did, and more than two years after walking through the doors of 1105 W. University Ave., I know what my "thing" is.

The Alligator helped me find my calling and my passion: to write and tell stories.

I was hired by Adam Lichtenstein and Landon Watnick to be a copy editor that spring, so I would like to thank you two, first. I still remember when Adam called me that one night. Before he even finished offering the job to me, I said yes.

I came back in fall 2014, and the sports section was under new management with Jordan McPherson and Eden Otero in charge.

Both of them gave me the golf beat, and from there I knew this was what I wanted to do. So, I thank you both again for giving me that opportunity.

From there, I moved up the alligatorSports chain, which eventually culminated with me becoming the assistant sports editor last summer.

I worked under Graham Hall, who I want to thank for putting up with me, because I know I was hard to deal with sometimes. I covered football with Graham, Jordan and Graham Hack, and while it was always a stressful beat, it was worth it.

So with that, I want to thank each of you and the others from that time.

Graham, you motivated me more than you ever will know. I looked up to you and learned so much from you, and that will stick with me forever. Thank you, man.

Hack, even though no one likes you — just kidding — thanks for the moments during our road trips, especially the one to Alabama for Southeastern Conference Media Days in July. I’ll never be able to listen to country music without thinking of you.

Jordan, I wouldn’t be here without you. You taught me how to write and helped me develop my passion. Thank you for dealing with me whenever I asked you hundreds of questions — daily — on how to approach a story. You’re going to go far in this profession. Keep up the amazing work, man.

To my wonderful girlfriend, Ashley, thanks for being my rock during all those stressful times, including when I couldn’t talk to Jarrad Davis for my feature on him. You inspired me and motivated me more than you’ll ever know. Thank you.

And to the rest of the people I became close to during the football road trips — Emily, Ariana, Alyssa and others — you all are some of the best journalists I know, and you’re even better friends.

To Ian and Ethan, the sports section is in great shape with you two, and it’s been a pleasure watching you grow. There’s no doubt in my mind you two will keep on getting better and better each day.

So with that, I leave you with this: When we announced that we were moving to a new place, someone came up to me and asked if the Alligator was shutting down.

The Alligator isn’t shutting down. Bigger and better things are in store. It’s been an honor working here and being a part of the last graduating class at 1105 W. University Ave.

There will be many others who were like me when I first entered these doors, not knowing what they want to do. But just like me, they’ll find their passion.

And the Alligator will forever be my home in Gainesville.

Luis Torres is the online sports editor and a UF telecommunication senior. You can contact him at ltorres@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @LFTorresIII