Gainesville to host 2016 biathlon, all participants to medal

Gainesville’s Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs Department will host the first race of the 2016 Gainesville Biathlon Challenge on April 23 at 8 a.m.

The first race will take place at H. Spurgeon Cherry “Westside” Pool, located at 1001 NW 31st Drive. 

The biathlon includes six races in which participants compete in a 5K run and an 800-meter swim, according to a press release. 

Races will alternate between Westside Pool and the Dwight H. Hunter “Northeast” Pool, located at 1100 NE 14th St.

All participants will receive a medal, whereas in the past the man and woman who placed first would receive a free annual swimming pass, said Michelle Weydert, the department’s program coordinator for athletics.

“We try to offer programs for adults, but we allow children aged 13 and over,” Weydert said. 

She said planners changed the event’s name three years ago to revamp its image.

“This event has been going on for the past 12 to 15 years, but we’ve changed the name from Splash and Dash,” she said. 

Jennifer Whitney wrote in an email she has been doing 3-mile practice runs followed by a swimming session to prepare for the challenge. 

Though she has competed in a marathon and a half-marathon, Whitney said the event will be her first biathlon.

“My son participated in a kids’ triathlon, and that was so much fun that I began thinking about it myself,” she said. 

Registration for city residents who sign up at least two days before the event is $18.25. The early-registration fee for non-residents is $24.25. 

More information is available by calling Weydert at 352-393-8751 or emailing her at

weydertme@cityofgainesville.org.