American Red Cross to prep pet owners for hurricanes

The American Red Cross will be attending the Alachua County Animal Services’ Disaster Preparedness event Saturday to teach pet owners natural disaster preparedness.

The event will focus on the upcoming hurricane season.

Families with pets have more responsibilities when finding a safe location during a hurricane, said Kevin Denney, the American Red Cross disaster program specialist.

It’s been about 10 years since Florida’s last natural disaster, and there are many people new to the Gainesville area, Denney said. Pets are another member of the family.

“So it takes a little extra care,” he said. “That’s what we’re trying to get across here.”

Tiffanie Sanders, who is studying veterinary technology at City College, got her first adopted dog, Elsie, from animal services.

As a native Floridian, Sanders said she is aware of how serious a hurricane can be.

“It’s important to always have an escape plan,” she said. “I have two dogs myself, so if an evacuation were to occur, I have a plan of how I’m going to get my dogs, my family and myself to a safer location.”

She said she believes it’s important to teach new pet owners how to plan ahead for the safety of their pets during disasters.

“Since we are in hurricane season, I think it’s good to get us ready and to prepare people who don’t know how to handle a dog,” Sanders said.