Taste of Gainesville hopes to raise record donations with food, drinks

The Seventh Annual Taste of Gainesville will host 36 vendors — its highest yet — as it raises money for four charities Sunday.

Scott Costello, the executive director for the event, said it has two main purposes.

“First and foremost is to raise awareness and money to help children in the greater Gainesville community,” he said. “Second is to bring the community’s passion for food to a fun, cost-effective event that anyone can go to and experience the cuisine of Alachua county.”

Admission includes unlimited beer, wine, soft drinks and food from vendors such as Mojo Hogtown Bar-B-Que and Swamp Head Brewery, Costello said.

Three local chefs will also prepare a three-course meal, all using the same secret ingredient, during the 2016 Iron Chef Gainesville competition, he said. Three celebrity judges will make the final decision.

In the past six years, Taste of Gainesville has raised $370,000 for local charities that focus on children. Costello said the goal is to raise a record-breaking $100,000 this year.

Sherry Houston, the executive director of Ronald McDonald House Charities of North Central Florida, said it’s an honor to work with Taste of Gainesville and the other charities.

The Child Advocacy Center, Alachua’s PACE Center for Girls and Tyler’s Hope for a Dystonia Cure will also benefit from the event.

“When we collaborate, we become stronger,” she said. “So to even be a part of a $100,000 event is humbling.”

When:

Sunday from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Where:

Hilton UF Conference Center, located at 1714 SW 34th St.

Price:

$100 in advance and $125 at the door