Whether it’s your first weekend in college (welcome freshmen!) or not, Summer B is a great time to be out and about in GainesVegas, and Fourth of July weekend makes a good time even better. If you’re looking to stay in town, and pass on the chaos that will be Ginnie Springs or Bob’s River Place, below are some things that you should check out.

Friday, July 1

Root & Pecker, located at 5408 NW Eighth Ave., will host a food truck rally and live music celebration from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Food trucks include Cilantro Tacos and Sweet Dreams of Gainesville, and proceeds from the event will go to Rebuilding Together NCF, which benefits the needy in Alachua County.

In celebration of Independence Day, tickets for the Hippodrome State Theatre’s hit show “The Toxic Avenger” are going for $17.76 this weekend. Tickets for all active duty military, veterans and first responders will be free, according to the show’s Facebook page, and Friday’s show starts at 8 p.m.

Saturday, July 2

Alachua County Farmers Market is hosting a Fourth of July festival at 5920 NW 13th St. The festival runs from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. and will feature the usual farmers market staples, plus food trucks, Kona Ice and a raffle, according to the event’s Facebook page.

Can’t decide whether you love the ’80s or ’90s more? Well this weekend, you don’t have to choose. Saturday night, The Backyard at Boca Fiesta is hosting an ’80s night dance party from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m with no cover. Just down the street, you can travel 10 years through time to The Atlantic, where the venue is hosting a ’90s dance party, also from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m., with a $3 cover.

Sunday, July 3

For Gainesville’s best fireworks display, come out to the Fanfares & Fireworks event at Flavet Field. Live music will proceed the fireworks, including performances from The Savants of Soul and Gainesville Community Band. Fireworks will go off at approximately 9:40 p.m., and as an insider tip, there’s a great view of them from the UF Commuter Lot parking garage.

The Jones, located at 203 SW Second Ave., is hosting a Summer Grill & Chill event in conjunction with Gainesville Art Scene from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. There will be a special menu and discounts on alcoholic drinks, along with local artisans set up and showcasing their work, according to the Facebook event page.

Monday, July 4

With a short drive down Interstate 75, you can also head down to Alachua for “The Largest Small Town Fireworks Display in America.” The show attracts more than 30,000 visitors every year, accompanied by a festival with water slides, rock wall climbing, dancing, vendors and live music. The event runs from 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. at Alachua’s Hal Brady Recreation Complex, located at 14300 NW 146 Terrace.