Chipotle loses leading spot in 2016 restaurant rankings

For the first time in three years, Chipotle has not made the top four in The Harris Poll’s list of best restaurant brands in the Fast Casual Mexican Restaurant category.

In previous years, Chipotle has held the leading position. Now, however, the list shows Moe’s, Taco Bell and Qdoba as the most popular, in that order.

Chipotle’s fall may be linked to several factors. Chipotle experienced two E. coli bacterial outbreaks in late 2015, which led to the hospitalization of 22 consumers, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

In January, same-store sales dropped 36 percent from the previous year, according to Bloomberg. Stocks reflect these troubles: In November 2015, Chipotle stock priced just above $700, but by March this year, it had sunk into the $400 range.

In addition, competitors offer weekly deals, such as Moe’s on Moe Mondays and Tijuana Flats on Taco Tuesdays.

“Moe’s is better; it offers quality food for a lower price,” said Will Shidler, an 18-year-old UF finance freshman. “Plus, they have free chips and a salsa bar.”

Last week, Chipotle began its “Chiptopia” rewards program. The three-month program gives customers a chance to receive a free entree if they visit four times in one month, and they can receive more rewards if this is repeated for another two months.

Valeria Archila, an employee at the Chipotle location in Midtown, has recently been working to promote Chiptopia.

“I’ve been working for Chipotle for four years, and it’s incredible how much both the position and staff has helped me to grow,” she said. “I’ve seen firsthand how committed the company is to getting through this tougher time.”