Car burglaries nearly double in 2016, guns stolen

GPD guns
GPD guns

Gainesville Police announced Wednesday reports of car burglaries in the city have nearly doubled since last year, with many thieves targeting unlocked vehicles.

So far this year, the department’s Special Operations Unit has investigated more than 450 car burglaries, many occurring at apartment complexes, said GPD spokesman Officer Ben Tobias at a press conference Wednesday morning.

In most cases, Tobias said, thieves have targeted unlocked cars with valuables in plain view.

And while many burglars make off with cash or electronics, sometimes they find free weapons, he said.

“If you’re not locking your vehicle, then you’re absolutely just inviting crime into the area,” Tobias said.

In a 3-month period between May 1 and July 31, 19 firearms were stolen from vehicles in the city, he said, citing a study conducted by GPD analysts.

Standing next to a poster board depicting the types of guns stolen in these cases, including pistols and a rifle, Tobias said it is up to gun owners to secure their weapons.

“These guns are now out on the streets because people did not lock their vehicles,” he said, adding some of the guns reported stolen have since been recovered.

But police fear the often-repeated “lock-it-or-lose-it” message may be falling on deaf ears, forcing them to get creative with their advisories, Tobias said.

On Aug. 9, GPD introduced the “Stuff Gruff,” a hairy creature meant to personify burglars, in a YouTube video later posted through the department’s social media. A couple of years ago, the department began issuing burglary-prevention “report cards” to parked vehicles at complexes and other lots, he said.

The majority of cars scored a failing grade in the test, which primarily checks for unlocked doors and hidden valuables.

“I cannot say it any plainer: You have to lock your vehicle,” Tobias said.

Walking her dog at Lux 13 Apartments on Northwest 13th Street, one resident said GPD’s advice was common sense.

Sasha Larson, a 19-year-old UF psychology junior, said she always remembers to lock up her car and take out any valuables from inside.

“I don’t leave valuable things inside my car because I don’t want anyone to take them,” she said.

Larson said car owners who may not usually lock their cars should listen to what police have to say.

“If someone heard that statistic, they should probably lock their car,” she said.

View the Alligator's live stream from GPD's address earlier today below.