Gators in the NFL: Brown scores touchdown, Driskel signs with Cincinnati

<p>Washington Redskins running back Mack Brown (34) runs away from Tampa Bay Buccaneers strong safety Keith Tandy (37) on a 60-yard touchdown run during the second quarter of an NFL preseason football game Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2016, in Tampa, Fla. (AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack)</p>

Washington Redskins running back Mack Brown (34) runs away from Tampa Bay Buccaneers strong safety Keith Tandy (37) on a 60-yard touchdown run during the second quarter of an NFL preseason football game Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2016, in Tampa, Fla. (AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack)

Preseason Week 4 is a bittersweet time to be unproven in the NFL. On one hand, there’s probably no better opportunity to score playing time as head coaches cautiously sit their starters. But it could also be your last chance to suit up if you’re cut from the 53-man roster. Former Gators experienced both outcomes over the weekend, from 2013 running backs to Jeff Driskel to a pair of Chiefs’ receivers and scattered defensive specialists.

Running backs:

Mack Brown doesn’t usually get much credit. The undrafted 24-year-old led Florida’s rushing core alongside freshman Kelvin Taylor in 2013. And despite rushing for a team-best 543 yards, fans mainly remember one statistic from that season: 4-8.

On Aug. 31, Brown rushed for 149 yards and a touchdown in Washington’s win over Tampa Bay. Ultimately, the performance didn’t count for much. Brown — who led the preseason with 227 rushing yards — was cut three days later and put back on the practice squad, where he spent time last season.

The Redskins already had two backups in mind behind starter and former Gator Matt Jones, and didn’t want four running backs on the roster, according to CBS Sports.

Brown’s old running partner, Kelvin Taylor, was dealt the same hand.

San Francisco’s Taylor went for 56 yards on nine carries complemented by a 10-yard touchdown run Thursday night to shut the door on San Diego.

Sunday, he was one of nine players from training camp signed to the 49ers’ practice squad.

Driskel:

It was a strange week for the former Florida/Louisiana Tech transfer. In San Francisco’s final preseason game against San Diego on Thursday, Driskel was intercepted twice and completed only one of four pass attempts for three total yards.

The 49ers cut him on Saturday, but Cincinnati claimed him off waivers on Sunday and added him to their 53-man roster. Now, Driskel sits at third on the Bengals’ depth chart behind starter Andy Dalton and former Alabama star AJ McCarron.

Driskel tweeted Sunday, “Beyond excited to be apart of the @Bengals organization. Can’t wait to get to work. Also would like to thank @49ers for the opportunity.”

Chiefs receivers:

Two former Florida receivers were targeted the most for Kansas City in its win over Green Bay on Thursday. Frankie Hammond caught five passes for 51 total yards, highlighted by a 20-yard grab on a second-and-long. Rookie Demarcus Robinson reeled in two catches for 19 yards on six targets.

Robinson might’ve been the downfall of his teammate. Chiefs Digest reported that Robinson showed promise as a gunner on special teams which made Hammond more expendable. As a result, Robinson nabbed the sixth and final receiving slot on Kansas City’s 53-man roster while Hammond was cut. He later signed on to the Chiefs’ practice squad.

Defensive standouts:

Rookie linebacker Antonio Morrison shined in the Colts’ preseason-finale win over Cincinnati. The fourth-round draft pick totaled five tackles — three of them solo — along with one tackle for a loss. Morrison will be a part of Indianapolis’ 53-man roster.

It was a different story for Jacksonville defensive back Josh Evans. He had five solo tackles with one for a loss in a losing effort to Atlanta. But Evans was cut Saturday before beginning his third season in the NFL despite getting significant playing time on defense over the last two seasons.

Contact Matt Brannon at mbrannon@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @MattB_727.