A new street sign with a flashing light has been added near the Hub in the hopes of reducing accidents and helping direct traffic.

The red sign reads “Authorized vehicles Monday — Friday 8:30 a.m. — 4:30 p.m. Buses, state, service, emergency vehicles, state disabled placard ONLY.” Transportation and Parking Services added it to the intersection of Stadium Road and Fletcher Drive within the past week, said Scott Fox, the director of TPS.

Prior to the new sign, white gates controlled traffic after Gale Lemerand Drive on Stadium Road. But these gates had to be swung back and forth daily and were prone to being struck by cars, requiring time and money to repair them.

“The vehicles that were authorized had to maneuver around the gates and navigate into the opposite lane,” Fox said.

He said he hopes the new sign will prevent unsafe situations like these, and instead, lead the traffic down Fletcher Drive toward West University Avenue.

The sign also pushes the restricted zone further east down the road, allowing cars to drive down to reach the Student Health Care Center, UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes said.

Fox said TPS wanted to avoid cars making an awkward U-turn, so they pushed the zone so cars cannot drive eastbound on Stadium Road.

He said he hopes this prevents traffic jams and allows bus routes to be free of excessive vehicles. But TPS will first see how effective the new sign is.

“Our desire and intent is to replace all gates,” Fox said.