<p>Atlanta Falcons head coach Dan Quinn fist bumps a coach after the Carolina Panthers were stopped during the first half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 2, 2016, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/John Bazemore)</p>

Atlanta Falcons head coach Dan Quinn fist bumps a coach after the Carolina Panthers were stopped during the first half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 2, 2016, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/John Bazemore)

Two young defensive backs had impressive performances, a rookie lineman earned his first NFL sack and a former Florida running back scored a touchdown in the Week 5 edition of Gators in the NFL.

First-rounders Hargreaves and Neal improving:

Cornerback Vernon Hargreaves lined up across from an old rival on Monday Night Football. The Tampa Bay rookie was tasked with covering Carolina receiver Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State’s premier offensive weapon in 2013. Benjamin toasted Hargreaves’ Gators for more than 200 yards and three touchdowns last time the two took the field.

For Hargreaves, Monday night was an improvement.

In the second quarter, Hargreaves anticipated Benjamin’s curl route, jumped in front and deflected the ball high into the air where it was intercepted by a Buccaneers’ linebacker. Tampa Bay went on to win 17-14 with the help of Hargreaves’ upgraded coverage.

This time, the rookie allowed Carolina receivers 70 yards on six of eight passes thrown his way.

Florida’s other first round selection, Atlanta rookie Keanu Neal, knocked off the undefeated Denver Broncos on Sunday. The safety was instrumental in the Falcons’ win, forcing a fumble and allowing just four catches for 36 yards. Neal finished with eight total tackles and earned an impressive 92.1 coverage grade from profootballfocus.com.

Atlanta head coach Dan Quinn — who served as Will Muschamp’s first defensive coordinator at UF in 2011 and 2012 — spoke highly of the fellow Gator after his performance.

“He’s a real factor in how we want to play defense,” Quinn said. “We knew we were going to have to play some zone, and he knew he really had to come through on some tackling. And that part of his game is continuing to get better. He missed a little bit there, but now he’s starting to hit his stride.”

Takeaways for veterans Nelson and Dunlap:

Rookies weren’t the only ones having fun in Week 5. Oakland captain and veteran safety Reggie Nelson recovered a fumble on San Diego’s first drive and recorded six tackles in the Raiders’ victory.

Cincinnati’s Carlos Dunlap wreaked havoc against the Cowboys. The defensive lineman blindsided Dallas quarterback Dak Prescott and forced a fumble in the third quarter. Dunlap finished with four tackles and 1.5 tackles for loss in the Dallas win.

TD for Gillislee, Reed remains consistent:

Only one Gator snuck into the end zone over the weekend. Buffalo running back Mike Gillislee took a pitch to the right from the 5-yard line and squirted between tacklers to extend the Bills’ lead in the second quarter over Los Angeles.

Meanwhile, Washington’s Matt Jones didn’t have a great day running the ball but converted an essential fourth and one against the Ravens on Sunday. He ended the game with only 31 rushing yards on 14 carries and gained 25 yards through the air.

Tight end Jordan Reed was Washington’s main target in the passing game. He totaled eight catches for 53 yards and has eclipsed 50 yards receiving in each game this season.

Bullard earns first career sack:

Chicago’s third-round pick Jonathan Bullard wrapped up Indianapolis quarterback Andrew Luck three yards behind the line of scrimmage in the third quarter. The defensive lineman has also upped his tackle total in each game he’s played.

Noteworthy:

-Colts’ rookie linebacker Antonio Morrison recorded a season-high five total tackles in a win over the Bears.

-Browns’ defensive back Joe Haden recorded a season-high seven tackles in a loss to the Patriots.

-Eagles’ receiver Trey Burton caught one of two targets for 5 yards

-Eagles’ kicker Caleb Sturgis went 3-for-3 on field goals including a 50-yarder in a loss to the Lions.

Contact Matt Brannon at mbrannon@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @MattB_727.