‘Orange is the New Black’ actress Diane Guerrero speaking at UF today

Diane Guerrero, known for her roles on “Orange is the New Black” and “Jane the Virgin,” will speak at UF about her new book today.

Her book, “In the Country We Love: My Family Divided,” talks about Guerrero growing up in the U.S. after her parents were deported when she was 14 years old. UF journalism professor Mike Foley will interview her in the Reitz Union Rion Ballroom at 6:30 p.m.

UF’s Hispanic Student Association paid $23,000 to bring Guerrero to UF for Hispanic Heritage Month, said Gabriella Nuñez, the executive director for Hispanic Heritage Month.

The theme for Hispanic Heritage Month is “Embrace,” and Guerrero personifies it, the 21-year-old UF journalism senior said. The goal of the event is to “open minds and open hearts.”

“Diane embraces who she is,” Nuñez said. “She’s not just a celebrity who made it big and forgot her roots. She’s a celebrity who uses her voice and her power to speak on behalf of her community.”

When Miranda Quiros, 19, saw on Facebook that Guerrero was coming to UF, she immediately clicked “going.”

“Once I realized it was a lead actress from ‘Jane the Virgin,’ I was really excited because I’ve seen the show, and I like it a lot,” the UF early childhood education sophomore said.