‘Michael Moore in TrumpLand’ screened at Market Street Pub and Cabaret

A group of about 20 people gathered at the Market Street Pub and Cabaret on Tuesday night to watch a screening of “Michael Moore in TrumpLand,” a Michael Moore documentary aiming to discourage voters from casting their ballots for Donald Trump, just a week before the general election.

The event was organized by Cinema Verde, a group that regularly hosts film festivals and screenings in an attempt to raise awareness about environmental issues. After “Michael Moore in TrumpLand,” Cinema Verde also showed “Before the Flood,” a climate-change documentary produced by Leonardo DiCaprio.

While Moore’s movie does not have as much of an environmental focus as the films Cinema Verde typically screens, Trish Riley, the organization’s director, said because Trump, the Republican presidential candidate, has called climate change a hoax in the past, screening the documentary was just as critical.

“It is very important that our elected leaders understand the importance of protecting the environment and creating a sustainable future,” said Riley, who founded Cinema Verde seven years ago. “You know, right now, it seems like we’ve got one candidate that says global warming is a hoax, and we need to make sure that people sort of understand that that isn’t the case.”

A well-publicized film, “Michael Moore in TrumpLand” mostly consists of a comedic stand-up routine from Michael Moore. For a little more than an hour, Moore tries to explain America’s current mood, which has enabled Trump’s rise, while imploring the audience to vote for Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton — no matter how much it pains them.

Corey Zallis, a UF information systems junior, attended the screening with an “I voted” sticker on his shirt. A Clinton supporter, Zallis said he was eager to watch the documentary and learn more about Trump’s rise.

“It was very provocative,” he said. “It made me a bit more sympathetic to Trump’s supporters. Coming from Michael Moore, that’s very interesting.”