UF, other Florida schools recognized for being military friendly

For the second year in a row, UF was recognized for helping its military students transition into civilian life.

On Wednesday, Victory Media, a media company responsible for the G.I. Jobs, STEM Jobs and Military Spouse publications, recognized the university as a Military Friendly School, joining about 50 other Florida institutions.

UF spokesman Steve Orlando said there are about 1,000 veteran and active duty students enrolled at UF.

“We consider it an honor to support veterans and help them into the next chapter of their lives,” he said.

Brett Surles, 26, said he can’t think of anything else the university can do to make campus more military friendly.

“I don’t know how we’re not the number one veteran-friendly campus in the nation,” the Marine Corps veteran said.

The UF chemical engineering senior said he got involved with other military students on campus as soon as he became a student. He said he has made friends through the UF Collegiate Veterans Society, an organization that helps veterans adjust to being college students.

Matt Golden, an active member of the Army National Guard, said becoming involved in the veterans society has been a good way to meet other students who he can relate to.

“It’s not traditional college students that are here,” the 24-year old UF applied physiology and kinesiology junior said.

He spent part of his Thursday afternoon at the center playing The Settlers of Catan, a trading and settlement board game, with Surles and his friend Bud Ware. Golden said he goes to the center to study, relax and play games with others.

“They really do welcome you in with open arms,” he said.

Ware, a Marine Corps veteran, said he didn’t know how military-friendly UF was until he began taking classes.

“When I was getting ready to come to school, I didn’t know any of this existed,” the 27-year-old UF Japanese junior said.

He said the veteran services on campus feel comfortable as a nontraditional student.

“The faculty is always asking us for feedback,” Ware said. “I can’t think of anything that needs to change, but if there were problems it would be fixed immediately.”