<p>Coach Jim McElwain, center, talks with UF offensive lineman Martez Ivey (73) during Florida's 38-28 loss to Tennessee on Sept. 24, 2016, in Knoxville</p>

Coach Jim McElwain, center, talks with UF offensive lineman Martez Ivey (73) during Florida's 38-28 loss to Tennessee on Sept. 24, 2016, in Knoxville

Surrounded by nearly 2,000 pounds of offensive linemen, Luke Del Rio picked up the check at a nearby Italian restaurant last Thursday.

Each week, Florida’s quarterback takes about five or six of his linemen out to dinner to eat on his dime, a gesture Del Rio began before UF’s season opener.

As expected, the 300-pounders are grateful.

“It don’t get no better than free food, right?” sophomore Martez Ivey said.

But the meals have led to more than just full stomachs.

Del Rio has had a freer pocket to throw from as a result of the dinners and the chemistry he and his offensive line have formed.

Florida’s line has allowed just nine sacks through seven games, tied for the 12th fewest in college football.

That number is a dramatic decrease from the FBS-most 45 sacks the unit surrendered in 14 games last year.

Sure, it’s hard to solely attribute the offensive line’s improved play to a weekly dinner.

But clearly it’s had some effect, even in each lineman’s attitude during games.

“The first time we had it, I felt like (Del Rio) had our backs,” Ivey said. “That made me want to fight for him a little bit more.”

Del Rio, who suffered a knee injury six weeks ago against North Texas, doesn’t plan on stopping the dinners any time soon.

The redshirt sophomore knows how important they are for the offensive unit to gel.

“You can have a lot of talented guys, but if they don’t work well as a unit, then they’re not going to be very good,” Del Rio said. “Every play, those five guys are on the field, and they have to work together. Our offensive success depends on how well they play.”

Across the line — from junior left tackle David Sharpe to redshirt junior center Cam Dillard to freshman right tackle Jawaan Taylor — each player has noticed a difference because of their weekly gatherings.

“The room feels great,” Dillard said. “Everybody feels like we’re coming together and we’re doing what we’re capable of.”

The one area Dillard said has especially improved? Pass protection.

And although the group gave up three sacks to Georgia, it was key in the run game.

When Del Rio faltered at times, running back Jordan Scarlett often carried the ball behind his heavy-pushing offensive linemen.

Even coach Jim McElwain praised the unit for controlling the line of scrimmage against the Bulldogs, something he hopes it does every game.

“They are starting to see the importance of playing with a sense of urgency, a pad level and a finish,” he said.

And as long as they’re well fed, expect UF’s offensive line to keep progressing.

“There’s so much more left out there for us to continue to grow on,” Dillard said.

Contact Patrick Pinak at ppinak@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @pinakk12.